What Is An EUR1 Certificate? | [Read Everything Here]

25 July 2022
by Liberty Sanders

What is an EUR1 Certificate?

An EUR1 Certificate (or EUR1 document), also known as a “movement certificate”, is a certificate of origin. This certificate allows importers in specific countries to import or export goods at a reduced, or sometimes zero, rate of duty, under trade agreements between the UK and other partner countries on the agreement list.

Why do You Need an EUR1 Certificate?

An EUR1 certificate is not a necessary component to import or export, though there are benefits to having possession of one for the importer/exporter.

If you want to take advantage of a reduced rate of duty then you are required to present your EUR1 to the customs office in the country receiving your shipment, as it forms part of the required customs documentation.

In short, when exporting and importing goods, the document allows you to take advantage of bilateral trade agreements.

However, if you do not have an EUR1 or fail to present it to the customs office, you will be billed for the normal customs tariff.

What Goods are Covered by EUR1?

For goods to be covered by the EUR1 certificate, they either have to originate from the UK or the EU, or they must be manufactured in a country that has acquired a trade agreement within the EU. You may have to provide evidence of these requirements.

To do this you will need sufficient documentation that relates to the manufacturing of the goods as well as the origin of the materials used.

How Long are EUR1 Certificates Valid For?

Typically, between four to ten months from the date of approval.

Which Countries Have a Trade Agreement With the EU?

The countries and territories that currently hold trade agreements with the EU are as follows:

Ceuta and Melilla
Faroe islands
South Africa

It must also be noted that due to the UK’s exit of the European Union on 31st Dec 2020, the regular EUR1 certificate has now been replaced for imports and exports within the UK, with a United Kingdom specific EUR1 form.

A simple statement of origin on the invoice, instead of a complete movement certificate, can be provided by the manufacturer or sender of the goods as an alternative should this be unavailable.

This is known as an invoice declaration and is the generally accepted alternative.

Only if the quantity of articles with EU origin in a single shipment does not exceed a particular threshold is this an acceptable alternative to the EUR.1 (for a non-approved exporter).

How to Apply for EUR1:

There are multiple ways to get your EUR1 through either HMRC or a Chamber of Commerce. Then, it must be authenticated by either HMRC’s Central Processing Unit in Salford, your local Chamber of Commerce, or by the Chartered Institute of Shipbrokers.

Depending on how you apply, sometimes an online application may be available for you. One thing to remember is that if you are importing, your supplier will need to acquire the EUR1 from the chosen country’s customs authority.

One example of the process to obtain an EUR1 is from Chamber International:

Firstly, you will need the HS (Harmonised System) code for your products, which you can search for if you don’t already know, by using the EU’s applied tariff database and then entering the description of the goods in the full text search box.

You will then need to use the correct HS code to check the rules of origin that are applicable to your products in H.M Revenue & Customs. If you need to know more about what is a HS code we have created an in depth blog covering the topic.

You can then liaise Chamber International to order the required forms, and then wait for them to be delivered.

There are certain countries that require an original signature, not electronic, which include:


For these countries, applications may still be made online but you will be required to obtain a supply of blank forms from Chamber International’s office, pre-sign and return, which once authenticated, applications will be returned via post.

How Much Does it Cost?

There is an issue fee for EUR1, depending on how you apply this fee may vary for example you will have to pay a members fee with Chamber International.

Memberships with some Chambers can mean you benefit from up to a 50% discount on the total price.

Freight forwarders and shipping agents also offer services that deal with the EUR1 application process for you.

Such services may require a little more in terms of cost but the benefit of not having to manage the application process, and peace of mind that the application is being handled by professionals if often worth the money.

Additional Documentation Required

You may be asked to provide additional documentation during the application process.

These documents can include a copy of the export invoice and payment of the issue fee.

You may also need an SAE (stamped address envelope), if you need the document to be returned to you by post.

How Long Will it Take?

There are a number of factors that can affect the amount of time the application process will take. If you are submitting your application in person will usually be processed while you are waiting. The amount of time for online applications can vary from a same day turn around up to a few days to process. Finally, postal applications rely on the speed and efficiency of the chosen postal service as well as the person dealing with the application and their workload.

Can You Apply for One After Shipment?

You are able to apply for an EUR1 retrospectively but you will have to get proof of the origin of your goods. Find out more at Customs Notice 827, Section 3.11.

What if You Lose it?

You are also able to apply for a duplicate EUR1, however, it must be identical to the original one.

If you are you looking for a partnership that focuses on quality rather than quantity? Talk to someone direct.

Contact us to start the conversation.

Sign up for our newsletter